Home Blog

Police release suspect descriptions after Toronto Humane Society van stolen

Police have released images and descriptions of two men who allegedly stole an animal rescue vehicle from the Toronto Humane Society.

On Nov. 29, at around 4:45 a.m., police say the two stole a van from the Toronto non-profit. That vehicle was recovered on Friday, according to police.

Read more: Video captures thieves stealing animal rescue van from Toronto Humane Society

Read More

Video captures thieves stealing animal rescue van from Toronto Humane Society

“This van was more than just a van, it’s a mobile lifesaving vehicle that brings animals to safety for the opportunity of having a second chance,” Hannah Sotropa, assistant manager of communications with the Toronto Humane Society, previously told Global News.

On Sunday, police released descriptions of two men wanted in relation to the theft investigation.

1:57 Toronto Humane Society animal rescue van stolen

Police said the first man was slim. At the time of the alleged theft, he was wearing a black jacket, blue faded jeans and white shoes.

Trending Now

NYC is looking for ‘bloodthirsty’ rat czar — and the job pays $228,000

Beloved Toronto metal music fan dies after three hospital visits in 10 days

Trending Now

U.K. egg shortage has stores placing purchase limits. Is Canada next?

Food delivery robots have hit Canadian sidewalks — but there are roadblocks

Story continues below advertisement

The second man

‘Repeated and catastrophic failure’, Abuse in Care commissioner says as study published

Commissioner of Royal Commission of Inquiry in State and faith-based care in Aoteoroa New Zealand Paul Gibson. Photo: Abuse in Care

Repeated and catastrophic failure constituting systemic abuse.

This is the view of a commissioner of the Royal Commission into historical Abuse in Care in both state and faith-based institutions.

The stories of abuse inflicted on neurodiverse people and those with disabilities have been released today in a study by the Abuse in Care inquiry, which highlights repeated failures by carers to protect them.

The study, called Tell Me About You, includes the stories of 16 abuse survivors and it sheds new light on the abuse.

The report found failure in the care of disabled and neurodiverse abuse survivors.

”Rapes that go uninvestigated. Bashings. Solitary confinement, and other kinds of abuse almost specific to disabled people. The loss of their identity through the loss of records. The neglect of their learning needs. Physical, medical neglect, medical abuse.”

We can’t accept that this was just an issue of the past

Not a lot had changed over the years, the commissioner said.

”The report talks about communities, society as a whole being both complacent and complicit about the abuse of disabled people and people with mental health issues.

”We can’t accept that this was just an issue of the past. We can’t accept there is nothing we can or should be doing now.

”We don’t express the same outrage as a community as we did when we saw it [abuse reported] in youth justice facilities. Ministers don’t get involved talking about the potential closure of such facilities or how the community needs to think and provide solutions. How society as a whole needs to act to support people who are at risk in our communities

$1 million reward for Sydney anti-Semite bomb attacks

A $1 million reward is on offer for information leading to the conviction of people responsible for the 1982 bombings of the Israeli Consulate and the Hakoah Club in Sydney.

At about 2pm on December 23, 1982, an explosive device detonated in the stairwell of a building next to the fire exit door of the Israeli Consulate General’s headquarters on 80 William Street in the city CBD.

Two people were injured and the building was badly damaged.

A $1 million reward has been announced over bomb attacks on the Israeli Consulate and the Hakoah Club in Sydney on 1982. (NSW Police)

At about 6.45pm that same day a second explosive device was located within the boot of a car parked at the Hakoah Club on 61-67 Hall Street, Bondi.

The device failed to explode properly and resulted in the timing device being blown clear.

No one was directly injured as a result of this explosion, however, significant damage was caused to the car along with two other vehicles in the same car park.

The blast at the consulate injured two people. (Nine)

At the time of this explosion there were a large number of athletes within the Hakoah Club, which was hosting the Maccabi Games.

Police reopened the case in 2011 and a $100,000 reward was previously announced.

That award has now been increased to $1 million today, on the first day of a coronial inquiry into the attacks.

Tampa police chief placed on leave after flashing badge in golf cart traffic stop

Tampa has placed its police chief on administrative leave after officer-worn camera footage showed her using her position as chief to get out of a traffic stop on Nov. 12. 

Chief Mary O’Connor and her spouse were riding in a golf cart in Oldsmar, Florida, a city near Tampa, when they were stopped by a Pinellas County, Florida Sheriff deputy for not having a license plate, the Tampa Police Department said in a statement. 

In the video posted on the department’s YouTube channel, O’Connor asks the deputy “Are you recording,” and then tells him “I’m the police chief in Tampa… I’m hoping that you’ll just let us go tonight,” as she shows him her badge.

“You looked familiar,” the deputy responds, before letting the couple go. 

University of Idaho students return to campus with still no arrest in killings

It’s been more than two weeks since the stabbing deaths of four students at an off-campus home, and with no suspect or arrest, “people are kind of sketched out” as they return to campus from Thanksgiving break, one student said Monday.

“It definitely feels a little bit different,” said student Hayden Rich. “It’s kind of a different vibe. It seems kind of a sad setting. It is kind of quiet.”

With a killer on the loose, it’s unclear how many students will actually come back to Moscow, Idaho, for the last two weeks of classes before winter break.

University of Idaho murder victims (Instagram)

Student Ava Forsyth said her roommate is staying home because she does not feel safe. Forsyth said she feels “moderately” safe, but “not so much” at night, when she takes advantage of a free campus walking security service.

University of Idaho President Scott Green acknowledged last week that some students did not want to return until a suspect is in custody.

“As such, faculty have been asked to prepare in-person teaching and remote learning options so that each student can choose their method of engagement for the final two weeks of the semester,” he wrote in a statement.

Rich said he decided to come back for the many tests he has this week. Student Lexi Way told CNN that she feels safe with upped campus security, and “tends to learn better in class.”

Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle, Madison Mogen and Kaylee Goncalves. Slain University of Idaho students. (Instagram)

The university has scheduled a vigil for Wednesday to commemorate the victims.

Dozens of local, state and federal investigators are still working to determine who carried out the brutal attack. Investigators have yet to identify a suspect or find a weapon – believed to be a fixed-blade knife – and have sifted through more than 1,000 tips

Iran reviewing hijab law after brutal crackdown on protests

Iran’s Attorney General Mohammad Jafar Montazeri says that Iran’s parliament and judiciary are reviewing the country’s mandatory hijab law, according to pro-reform outlet Entekhab.

Montazeri was also quoted as saying Iran’s feared morality police had been “abolished” but Iranian state media strongly pushed back on those comments, saying the interior ministry oversees the force, not the judiciary.

CNN is reaching out to the Ministry of Interior for comment.

Mass protests have broken out across Iran over the country’s hijab laws. (Chris McGrath/Getty Images)

The wearing of a hijab in public is currently mandatory for women in Iran under strict Islamic law that is enforced by the country’s so-called morality police.

The laws around the head covering sparked a nationwide protest movement after the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini, who died in police custody after being apprehended by the morality police allegedly for not wearing her hijab properly.

Her death on September 16 touched a nerve in the Islamic republic, with prominent public figures coming out in support of the movement, including top Iranian actor Taraneh Alidoosti.

The country has been gripped by a wave of mass protests that were first ignited by Amini’s death and have since coalesced around a range of grievances with the regime. Authorities have unleashed a deadly crackdown on demonstrators, with reports of forced detentions and physical abuse being used to target the country’s Kurdish minority group.

The protests were sparked by the death of Mahsa Amini after she was arrested. (AP)

In a recent CNN investigation, covert testimony revealed sexual violence against protesters, including boys, in Iran’s detention centers since the start of the unrest.

On the hijab law, Montazeri said, “We know you feel anguished when you witness [women] without a hijab in cities, do you think the officials are silent about it? As someone who is in the field of this issue, I

Saskatchewan man calls for changes in organ donations for gay men after late husband’s tissues disqualified

Saskatchewan resident Dwayne Belcourt is accusing the Saskatchewan Health Authority of discrimination because he says his late husband’s tissues were disqualified due to his same-sex relationship.

On Aug. 30, Belcourt’s husband Merril Donkin died from stage four liver cancer.

On the morning of his death, Belcourt said he received a call from the Saskatchewan Health Authority regarding tissue donations and was first told Donkin was a great candidate to be a tissue donor.

An hour later, Belcourt said SHA called again.

“They basically asked me if [Donkin] had intimate relations with a man in the last five years,” Belcourt explained.

Merrill Donkin. Courtesy: Dwayne Belcourt

Belcourt and Donkin got married in April 2022, but had been dating for over 20 years prior to their marriage. After confirming Donkin’s sexual history, Belcourt said he was upset to hear how the phone call had to end.

Story continues below advertisement

“After she confirmed that he had a sexual relationship with a man in the four or five years, that disqualified him. All his tissues were disqualified,” Belcourt recounted.

“The fact that they called me the day of my husband’s death. To add that on top of that, I was quite upset,” Belcourt added.

Belcourt believes the donor policy is bizarre given the recent blood-ban changes for gay men.

“They’re advertising that we can give our blood, but they won’t take anything else,” he said.

Read more: Blood donation ban on men who have sex with men can end: Health Canada

Read More

Blood donation ban on men who have sex with men can end: Health Canada

He is asking health officials to re-consider their rules for organ and

UK strikes play into Putin’s hands, claims Tory chairman

Nadhim Zahawi, Tory party chairman, has infuriated UK unions and political opponents by claiming that workers going on strike in the run-up to Christmas are playing into the hands of Vladimir Putin.

Zahawi argued that the Russian leader had hoped to cause economic chaos by using energy supplies as a weapon in his invasion of Ukraine, forcing up inflation across Europe and triggering divisions in society.

“It’s unfair, in my view, for the unions to really damage and disrupt people’s lives and livelihoods at Christmas,” Zahawi told the BBC’s Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg.

“They should rethink and reflect on this because that is exactly what Putin wants to see. Let’s not divide, let’s come together,” he said.

But his comments, which come ahead of a wave of planned strikes this month by workers ranging from nurses to rail and postal workers, were described as “ludicrous and insulting” by Christine Jardine for the Liberal Democrats.

And Pat Cullen, general secretary of the Royal College of Nursing, said using Russia’s war in Ukraine as a justification for a real-terms pay cut for nurses was “a new low for this government”.

“The public does not believe this kind of rhetoric and wants ministers to address our dispute,” she said.

Meanwhile, Zahawi said the role of the army was part of contingency planning under which soldiers could be drafted in to carry out the work of key staff who went on strike in areas such as border control and the ambulance service.

Nadhim Zahawi appearing on the BBC current affairs programme ‘Sunday With Laura Kuenssberg’ © Jeff Overs/BBC/PA

Ministers and employers are racing to try to find a resolution to the rail dispute, where Mark Harper, transport secretary, has become involved in negotiations.

On Sunday, the group representing train companies made its first offer to the RMT union as it attempted to head

West Auckland road blocked off due to police incident

Photo: RNZ / Marika Khabazi

A motorway off-ramp in Auckland has been closed because of what Auckland Transport is describing as a police incident.

The Lincoln Road city-bound and west-bound off-ramps were closed, with no access to or from Triangle Road or Central Park Drive or the SH16 motorway.

Numerous police diversions were in place affecting all traffic, including bus services, NZTA said.

Police said traffic on Lincoln Road, Triangle Road and Central Park Drive was also affected.

LINCOLN RD, HENDERSON – 6:15AM
Due to a police incident Lincoln Rd is CLOSED, with no access to/from Triangle Rd or Central Park Dr or the SH16 motorway. Avoid this area or expect delays with numerous police diversions in place affecting all traffic, including bus services. ^TP pic.twitter.com/n5LCqNchnz

— Auckland Transport Travel Alerts (@AT_TravelAlerts) December 4, 2022

English councils struggle to maintain Ukraine refugee scheme as war drags on

There were deer outside her window and pheasants in the woods when Ukrainian refugee Alina Shakirova and her eight-year-old son first woke up in the cottage lent to them by their Wiltshire hosts in May.

Relative to what greets many other refugees landing in the UK, the 105,000 Ukrainians like Shakirova, who have come with visas under the Homes for Ukraine scheme have been treated to a generous welcome.

But the scheme, which offered sanctuary to Ukrainians fleeing the Russian invasion provided they found a British sponsor willing to host them for at least six months, is fraying as it enters its 10th month with no sign of the war abating.

Around a quarter of volunteer hosts surveyed do not want to continue beyond the initial six months they agreed to, according to the Office for National Statistics. Some Ukrainians are themselves eager to become more independent now and by the end of October, 2,175 across England had presented as homeless.

This combination is placing huge strain on cash-strapped local authorities with a duty to ensure the refugees are housed.

“Sooner or later, you need to move on,” said Shakirova, a special needs psychologist. She found solace in rural Wiltshire in south-west England, which has among the largest number of Ukrainians, and her son had loved the village school. But it had proved tough rebuilding her life in isolation in a place with little public transport, she said.

She has been lucky, however. Having saved money from welfare credits, and with help from a network of local volunteers in Salisbury, she found a landlord willing to reduce her rent. She is now learning English with a view to getting a job.

Support for Ukraine in Twickenham. Refugees have tended to be housed in more prosperous areas where there are willing hosts © Richard Baker/Alamy

What alarms local